Leveraging Our Experience

To Simplify Complex Legal Problems

Getting your license back after a DUI conviction

On Behalf of | Feb 23, 2021 | Criminal Defense

Florida law dictates that anyone who is convicted of drunk driving may lose his or her driving privileges for up to a decade. However, it may be possible for those who have had their licenses suspended to obtain a hardship reinstatement. Let’s take a closer look at what a person must do to get his or her driving privileges back after a DUI conviction.

There will likely be a waiting period

If you were convicted of driving with a blood-alcohol level above .08%, you will need to wait at least 30 days before applying for a hardship license. The same is true for drivers who were convicted of underage DUI. If you declined to submit to a blood, urine or Breathalyzer test, you’ll need to wait 90 days before applying for a hardship license.

After the waiting period has expired, a judge will need to review your case before allowing you to drive for employment or business purposes. He or she will also need to see proof that you have completed DUI school before restoring your ability to operate a motor vehicle.

You may be required to install an ignition interlock device

You will likely be mandated to get an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle if your blood alcohol level was at least .15% when you were taken into custody. For a first offense, the device will remain in your car for at least six months.

Hardship waivers may not be available for everyone

In most cases, you won’t be able to obtain a hardship license after your second DUI conviction. Furthermore, it may be difficult to restore your driving privileges if you have refused to take a chemical test on more than two occasions. Your criminal defense attorney may provide more insight into your ability to drive after running afoul of Florida drunk driving laws.

A drunk driving conviction may have a significant impact on your life. Therefore, it is generally a good idea to hire an attorney who may be able to help you obtain a favorable outcome in a DUI case.